Folders became shortcuts, how to fix that?
Feb 19th, 2013
- Have you ever met this kind of strange situation? When you connect the removable media (USB pen drive, external hard drive and SD memory card etc.) to your computer and try access data in it, all your file folders became shortcuts with just about 1-2KB size. Tried the removable media in a different PC, still the same problem occurred. How could this happen? How to make the file folders accessible again? If format the problematic removable media, is it possible to recover the original files? Let’s check them one by one.
- It is mainly because of virus, trojans or worm, and the most famous ones such as BUOUFO, QWERT, AUTORUN etc. Since your pen drive or memory card may be suffered or infected, to fix fix shortcut virus, most of the times you have to kill those virus or Trojans, but sometimes you can make hidden files and folders visible again by following methods.
Why folders turned into shortcuts?
- 1. Click on “Start” –>Run–>type cmd and click on OK.
- 2. Here I assume your removable drive as G:
- Enter this command: attrib -h -r -s /s /d g:\*.* (replace the letter g with your USB or memory card “removable drive” letter showed under “My Computer”).
- 3. Press ‘Enter’ button and then check if your real files will be shown.
Tip 1 Check and show hidden files and folders
- If your files won’t show by tip 1, you have to use some strong anti-virus or anti-malware programs to eliminate the virus or trojans. Download free antivirus program and install it on your computer. Then connect your infected USB flash drive, external HD, SD memory card etc to your PC, run the software to perform a “Full Scan” of the drive. This way should clear those problem makers. After that, see if the file folders will be accessed normally.
- If YES, congratulations! You are done. Still the problem exists, go to the final solution to fix file became shortcut issue.
Tip 2 Remove the virus
- 1. Keep the removable drive connected to your PC, then download and install Hodo data recovery software. Run the app for a free scan of your drive to see if there are some files can be found and then recovered. Note: The recovery program performs read-only operation and won’t do any damage to your disk.
- 2. Then re-format the drive on your PC (use quick format option). This should wipe everything including the virus, the folders shortcuts problem will gone forever too. But the data are not erased permanently even if you format the drive.
- 3. Re-use the data recovery tool to re-scan your drive to see if more data can be found. Do not worry, the virus will not be touched, only files such as documents, folders, photos, videos, music etc will be recovered.
Tip 3 Recover data and format the virus-infected drive
- Take above steps to fix shortcut virus with your USB drive, external hard disk, memory card etc.